This statement applies to personal information collected through this website (electoralreview.justice.govt.nz). This statement is to let users of this website know when we collect personal information and what we do with it.
Collection of personal information
No need to disclose personal information
You can use this site without disclosing any personal information.
Disclosure of personal information
Any information you provide to us via email is viewable by site administrators. Please do not send us sensitive information.
If you choose to subscribe to regular email updates, we will only record your email address for this purpose. You can unsubscribe from our update list at any time.
Sharing your information
We do not give information about you to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- one of the reasons we obtained the information was to give it to someone else
- you have given authority for us to do so
- it is required or authorised by the Privacy Act 2020 or by any other law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to public health or safety or to somebody's life or health, or
- the information is to be used in a way that will not identify you, or it is to be used for statistical or research purposes and will not be published in a way that will identify you.
Data for analytics purposes
We - and our contractors, providers and agencies - use analytical tools, including Google Analytics, to create summary statistics that allow us to assess information, such as the number of visitors to different sections of the website, identify what information is of most and least interest, monitor system performance, and help us make our website more useful to visitors. To do this, these analytical tools collect and store the data when you visit the website, including:
- your service address (IP address)
- the date, time and duration of your visit to the site
- the pages you accessed on this site and the links you clicked on (including documents)
- the referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this site
- the type of browser you used
- the search terms you used
- your operating system (e.g., Windows XP, Mac OS X), and
- other incidental matters such as your screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
This information is viewable by site administrators.
Automatic collection of information
Your emails to the site may constitute public records and be retained to the extent required by the Public Records Act 2005. We may also be required to disclose those materials under the Official Information Act 1982 or to a parliamentary Select Committee in response to a parliamentary question.
Rights of access and correction
Under the Privacy Act 2020, you have the right to access and to request correction of any of your personal information provided to the Review in connection with your use of this site. If you would like to see or change your personal information that the Review has stored, or if you have any concerns regarding your privacy, please contact us at the address below. The Review may require proof of your identity before being able to provide you with any personal information.